Reduced Course Load
BYU–Hawaii requires all full-time students to maintain a minimum of 12.0 credit hours per semester in the fall and winter semesters and a minimum of 8.0 credit hours in the spring semester. A student who wishes to obtain an exception based on a medical condition may request a reduced course load by submitting the form below.
A reduced course load may be granted based on a student’s physical or mental health need, as supported by a letter from a physician or licensed clinical counselor.
A reduced course load may be granted based on a student's last semester. The student may request a reduced course load with their academic advisor.
A student must counsel with the offices listed below to understand the impact of a reduced course load.
To request a reduced course load, please follow the steps listed below:
- Before you fill out the form, meet with your academic advisor so you can discuss the impact a reduced course load will have on their graduation timeline. You must be able to graduate within your allotted time with an RCL.
- If this is not a last semester RCL, meet with a financial aid counselor to see what impact an RCL will have on your federal aid and scholarship.
- The form can be found under Handshake Experiences. Please read all instructions before filling out the form.
- Under "Experience Type" please select the appropriate reduced course load type depending on whether you are an international or domestic student and why you are requesting a reduced course load.
- Under "Employer" and "Job" please type "Reduced Course Load". The rest of that section is not required so you may leave it blank.
- Fill out the rest of the form with your information.
- Click "Next Page" and then "Request Experience" on the next page.
- Add any additional documents (doctor's notes, medical certificates, etc.) after you request your experience by looking at the details of the experiences and clicking "new attachment."
You can revisit your request at any time and check the status of it.