Mission Deferment Intent to Return and Return Missionary Voucher Program is for NEW and FORMER students admitted to BYU–Hawaii after serving a mission.
Mission Deferment vs Discontinuance
- Deferment: students that have not attended or earned credits at BYUH AND deferred their admittance to serve a mission. They are considered 'NEW' students. Admissions manages the listing of deferred students on a mission.
- Discontinuance: students that have attended and earned credits at BYUH are considered 'FORMER'. The Office of the Registrar manages the listing of discontinued students on a mission.
Return Missionary Voucher
In recognition of sound leadership and a proven commitment to study, exemplary missionaries who are from or have served in the Pacific Rim, but who do not qualify for the IWORK financial aid program, may be selected by their mission president to receive equivalent to one-half tuition award for one semester to BYU–Hawaii.
- The prospective student is from or has served a full-time mission in the Pacific Rim (South Pacific and the Far East).
- The prospective student is a returned missionary with an honorable release within the past year (must be admitted to BYU–Hawaii within 12 months of release).
- The prospective student must first be accepted to attend BYU–Hawaii.
- The recipient is a new freshman or transfer student enrolled in a minimum of 14 credit hours per semester. Former BYU–Hawaii students do not qualify.
- The recipient commits to abide by the Honor Code.
Application Process for Returning/Not Returning and Applying for the Return Missionary Voucher Award
- All students that deferred/discontinued to serve a mission MUST complete the Mission Deferred ITR & RMV Program form. Also, if the student is applying for the RMV award, this must be completed as well.
What to Expect AFTER Submitting the Mission Deferment ITR & RMV form?
- An email will be sent via Mission_Deferment@byuh.edu to keep the student posted on the status of their application for returning or applying for the RMV award. If the student has not received an email notification in his/her inbox, please check spam/junk folder.
- If the application process has been completed, the student will receive an email about receiving an 'Intent To Enroll (ITE)'.
- The ITE must be 'Accepted' if the student is returning, otherwise 'Cancel' if the student does not anticipate returning to campus.
- The RMV award has a process that requires a mission president recommendation. Once a student has submitted the Mission Deferment ITR & RMV form, with the mission president's information included, an auto generated email will notify him of the request.
The RMV award process is not complete until the recommendation is received in the Ho'okele Department.
Mission president needs to submit the request within six months of the first day of the first semester on campus.
**Mission president has up to six vouchers he can nominate to receive the award per the calendar year.
Each voucher is redeemable for the amount equal to one-half tuition for the first semester of enrollment at BYU–Hawaii. Contact Financial Aid & Scholarship on the status of your eligibility.
For more information, visit financialaid.byuh.edu/scholarships.
For technical assistance, please contact the BYUH Ho'okele Department at email@example.com.